Announcements & Upcoming Events
School Year 2015 - 2016
Welcome to Tanana Middle School!
We are closed for the summer, but look forward to seeing you in the fall. New student registration takes place, August 7, 10 & 11. During those days we are open from 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM (closed from Noon – 1 PM). This new student registration is for students new to the Fairbanks North Star Borough School district or students recently determined to come to Tanana this summer.
Please plan to attend the Tanana Middle Open House on Friday, August 14 from 5 PM – 7 PM. You will have an opportunity to tour the building, meet teachers and staff, pick up your class schedule and get your locker assignment. Monday, August 17 is another day that you can get schedules and locker assignments before school starts. On that day, we are open from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
After August 5, please call the Counseling Office at 452-8145 ext. 14106 if you have any questions about new student registration or student records. We will be glad to help you with your registration needs and transition to Tanana Middle School!
Also, Cross Country Running, Track and Field, and Girls Basketball all start in late August, so if you are planning to participate in any of these activities, be sure to get a sports physical over the summer.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 19! Classes begin at 9:30 AM. School Bus routes and times will be made available in early August through the FNSBSD Transportation Office.
We look forward to starting off a great new school year with you in August!
School Supply List
AMP Testing - Fact or Fiction
New School District Weapons Policy
The School Board's firearms, deadly weapons, and weapons policies and administrative regulations have been updated to meet Alaska Department of Education reporting requirements.
Among the changes are that all knives, regardless of blade length, are categorized as deadly weapons. State law dictates a 30-day minimum suspension from school for deadly weapon possession.
Important Points for Parents and Students
• Revisions to School Board Policy are driven by Alaska department of education reporting requirements for weapons possession, threatened use while in possession of, or use of firearms or deadly weapons while on school grounds or at school sponsored events.
• There are three categories of weapons addressed in the policy:
1) Firearms, defined by federal statute 18 USC Section 921(a), is a weapon expelling a projectile by action of an explosive, and includes bombs and grenades. 2) Deadly weapons are devices that are readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury. State statute defines all knives, regardless of length of blade, as deadly weapons.
3) Weapons cause bodily harm or place a person in fear of bodily harm.
• Federal and state law dictate original disciplinary minimum mandatory consequences:
1) Firearms Offenses: Automatic one calendar year (365 days) expulsion from school. The Superintendent may issue a modification to full calendar year expulsion in writing on a case-by-case basis.
2) Deadly weapon possession (including all knives): 30-day minimum suspension from school. The Superintendent may issue a modification to the minimum in writing on a case-by-case basis.
3) Deadly weapon (including all knives) threatened use while in possession of: 30-day minimum suspension from school. The Superintendent may issue a modification to the minimum in writing on a case-by-case basis.
4) Deadly Weapon use: 45-day minimum suspension from school. The Superintendent may issue a modification to the minimum in writing on a case-by-case basis.
5) Weapons do not have state imposed original disciplinary minimum mandatory consequences, but the administrative regulations suggest minimums for threatened use and use of weapons.
6) In the event of a modification to the mandatory consequence, school administrators gather information regarding the violation and prepare a written recommendation regarding the modification to the original minimum mandatory consequence and submit it to the Superintendent. The Superintendent has the discretion to modify the mandatory minimum original discipline in writing on a case-by-case basis.
• Everyday objects, such as pencils, can be considered a weapon when its possession is for the purpose of causing a person bodily harm or placing a person in fear of bodily harm. Use of everyday objects as weapons can result in a 30-day out of school suspension.
• Weapons also include consumer grade fireworks; squirt guns; toy guns; BB, spring, air and pellet guns; stun guns; mace dispensers; and toy guns that look like a real firearms.
Policy Manual Chapter 10
Administrative Regulation Chapter 10
School Bus Parking
Students riding the school bus get on and off the bus from the side entrance of the building. Due to the number of students that ride the bus and the large number of buses, for safety reasons, parents picking up their child from the side entrance should not park or drive through the area between the buses and the area where staff vehicles are parked.
The front entrance has a portion of the student pick up blocked off by cones for buses that have wheelchair access. Please allow our buses to park in this section.
School District Canvas Link
Tanana's School Report Card 2013 - 2014
Please view the attached link.
Tanana Bus Routes
Bus schedules for 2014-15 school year have been updated. Routes are subject to change throughout the school year.
If you have questions or need to add a stop please call 452-2000 x 11351 to check on your bus stop, for the most current information, or any questions.
Notes from Nurse Cindy
Immunizations: If you have had a Religious exemption in past, the state requires and updated and notarized Religious Exemption form yearly after each July 1.
Sports Physicals: If you are doing sports you will need a sports physical on file and concussion information form signed prior to tryouts
Medications: If you have any health issues or daily meds please contact the nurse regarding extra paperwork that is needed. DO NOT SEND MEDICATIONS IN WITH YOUR STUDENT. Meds need to be brought in by parent or guardian.
Activities calendar can be found under the Sports and Activities tab.
Tanana Middle School Home Page